Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Caspian Terns

This post is for World Bird Wednesday.

Out at Inskip Point the other day there were numbers of Terns flying across the point and fishing in the channel between the mainland and Fraser Island. However, there were only two that came in and rested on the sand right on the Point. I was immediately attracted to them because one of them was making begging noises at the other. It seemed to me that it was rather late in the season to see or hear a juvenile Crested Tern, but when I looked they were Caspian Terns (Sterna caspia). Although I frequently see Caspian Terns their breeding cycle is much harder to understand as they breed at widely dispersed sites and at varying times of the year depending on the climate of the region. They then move to quite different areas to spend the rest of the year.
Here is the juvenile begging from the adult. The juvenile is still showing its typical "spotty" plumage.
The Caspian Tern is the largest of all the terns and occurs over most of the world. Beside smaller terns such as the Little Tern (Sterna albifrons) it looks massive. However, the wingspan is also large - 130-145cm.
Adult Caspian Tern Juvenile Caspian Tern

24 comments:

  1. those birds are just so striking. one second looking regal; then the next clownish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great capture! I like the flight shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely captures of your beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great close ups. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! I must say I also like your headerphoto very much! Thanks for your visit and comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a species I've seen over here but did see a few thousand in the US some years back. Most definitely the easiest to pick out from a mixed flock by the size. Lovely crisp selection Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome captures of the Caspian Tern Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like that the begging bird is trying to make eye contact and is being ignored.Just like my little grandson really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the expression on the one bird in the first photo. Great timing on that one! Very beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful shots and a great on the Caspian Terns. I enjoy watching all the different terns around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breathtaking images! It is hard to imagine you could capture these beautiful terns any better. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The juvenile looks like it's being very vocal - a great shot.
    But, the last one is a really super capture.
    Thanks for your visit. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is quite an impressive wingspan! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos shown at WBW are both perfect and exciting! The first one is really something great to me, but also the action captures are very fine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there - I have had a chance to band some Caspian Tern chicks - even they seemed huge in the hand!

    Nice set of picture.

    Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos. Their bill always looks so large compared to the other terns. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting info and very good captures to boot! I am surprised by their size.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful shots! The photo of the begging chick is really cute and that flight shot is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible photos,specially the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such smooth awesome shots..NO camera shake, no blurr...color perfect!!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you had terns too. But Kaspian ones. I have seen tehm but they are rare in Sweden. I saw them in Camargue last year. The juvi looks really fun in the first shot. .)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful shots of the terns, they are such pretty birds!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful pictures! I enjoy reading about "professional" birding (as opposed to casual, whatever I happen to see birding that I do). It seems amazing to me that you can both count and take pictures....I can't balance binoculars and camera (not and walk at the same time ;>)!

    I am so glad that you are out there on the sandy straits doing what you do and even happier that you are willing to share your wonderful pictures and information.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the top shot! I would have never guessed their wings are so big...

    ReplyDelete