Monday, September 26, 2011

Shades of Gray

When I walked out to the Mullens roost the other morning everything was colored in shades of gray. There had been a big fire burning the previous day and the smoke had drifted everywhere. It was the same color both north and south.
There were birds on the other side of the roost but they were too far away for me to accurately ID them.
I know that some were Godwits because I found this wing feather sitting among the saltmarsh plants.
I saw numbers of Herons and Egrets close by and on the way back this Little Egret gave a nice photo opportunity. It was standing on a little rocky island and let me get quite close before it flew a little way on to the next rocks.
For more bird photos visit the Bird Photography Weekly.

7 comments:

  1. the shots of the Little Egret is really goodlooking. Perfect light and colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots. I love your pics. The second shot with the tree in the middle is really nice as are the bird shots. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi NatureFootstep and Rohrerbot, thanks for commenting. This is a beautiful place and every time I go out the light and colors are a little different. It's a challenge to get it just right in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Egret was a welcome relief from all those grayness, MIck. Sometimes one bird is all that it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bob, yes the one good photo op. for the morning and a beautiful bird as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a minute there, in your first two pictures, I thought you were staying near us in Oregon -- same shade of gray this week here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the fire but I love the shades of grey.

    ReplyDelete