Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mullens at High Tide

There are very low gradients across all of the bay around here and a few feet of water makes a huge difference to the look of a place - and to my ability to kayak around!  These photos were taken last week on a high tide and a morning when there was no wind.  At low tide this area has no water.  All the salt marsh plants and the sand and mud are then visible.
Looking south west across the Mullens roost. 


The white spot in the center of the previous photo is a Little Egret that was chasing small fish through the shallow water.  


Shorebirds were still flying in from other lower places around the bay when I first got there.  There are always some Gull-billed Terns that use this roost along with the shorebirds. 


A few Gull-billed Terns were still showing a partial black cap which is their breeding plumage.  Bar-tailed Godwits are the largest shorebirds in this photo and there are also a few Great Knots. 


I thought all the Terns were Gull-billed Terns until I saw this big red bill showing behind the mangroves. This is a Caspian Tern which is the largest of all the terns.  Eastern Curlews are the largest shorebirds and easily ID'd with their very long down-curved bill.  Bar-tailed Godwits are closer to the front of the photo. 


Looking north-east as I left the roost area.  


I kayaked around to the Airport roost before I went to the Mullens roost. This made a kayak trip of about 6 kms - which was plenty long enough for the present!  I need to do some more trips like this one before I attempt the longer paddles to get to some of the more distant roosts!

For more interesting places from around the world visit Our World Tuesday 

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday.

28 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful look at your world! The Terns are so lovely! Terrific captures for the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds nice (and safe) to kayak around in these shallow waters. You got some great shots out there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful place with lots of activity. love the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shorebirds and you always capture them so beautifully. The picture of the terns skimming just above the water is just perfect. Kayaking in those waters has to be an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The wildlife at the lake is awesome as is the lake ~ Wonderful photography ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool shots of the birds and the beautiful scenery. Looks like a great place for birding! I like the Caspian Tern mixed in with the others. He is like sneaking up out the bushes. Thanks for sharing, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a very pleasant trip--it was certainly beautiful. I love your shot of the birds in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a wonderful habitat for those birds and other wildlife.. thank you for the comment regarding my Mom ...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very beautiful - love that egret shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos the Caspian Tern was still there on Sunday when we were there to count the waders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photo series showing.
    Wish you a good day :)
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  12. So rich in bird life! Beautiful setting so nicely captured.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From the looks of that wonderful reflection you had a lovely day for kayaking. Beautiful shots of the landscape.
    Hope that Caaaspian Tern didn't think he could hide - that red bill gives him away. :)
    A lovely WBW post Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 6kms in a kayak? You are determined Mick. that Caspian Gull sure stands out with the carrot bill. i think I could have good times birding around your part of the world. By the way have you ever tried a portable camouflage hide/cover on the kayak and just drifting in to the birds?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great images and I can almost smell that mud at low tide!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of great birds. We have a few Caspian Terns breeding in Sweden. Not where I live but I´ve seen a few at the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love to see your photos. You have such different shore birds than here in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful post Mick. Your photos and posts always make me feel that I am there. What a gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful shots you got from your kayak! It's a beautiful area, so full of lovely shorebirds.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lovely! I really like that big old caspian tern who looks like he's trying to hide behind the greenery...not a chance with that red beak..it really pops out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. how serene to glide along those waters and take in the shore birds; I'd LOVE it. Used to kayak at one time. Great photo opportunities. I find the egrets and herons very cautious/timid

    ReplyDelete
  22. The beautiful birds, the water, the sky, all so very, very wonderful~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photos...I especially liked the tern 'peeking' from behind the greenery!!

    Sorry it's taken me so long to repay your visit from Tuesday/Wednesday...not home long enough to take the time to thoroughly peruse you blog posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have such a fabulous place to go birding. So many lovely shorebirds!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice set of pictures - I like the caspian peeking out from behind the bush!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog - I've been in Oman for a week hence slow reply!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete