Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Birds - Plants and Avian

This is the flower of the Strelitzia Nicolai which is commonly called the Bird of Paradise flower. The more common variety is the Strelitzia Reginae which has a yellow/orange flower. This Strelitzia Nicolai is a very vigorous plant and grows from 4-6 meters tall. The Blue-faced Honeyeaters are often around the flowers so I am guessing that it has lots of nectar.

Early morning and late afternoon are the noisiest times for birds around my place and of course the noisiest birds are all the parrots. It is common to see 20-30 of these white Sulphur-crested Cockatoos flying over. Sometimes they settle down for a while in my tallest trees. The other night there were 5 birds in the tree. Another 20 or so birds had flown over.  The ones in the tree were roosting quietly and looking all around.

Except - that is for this one! It looked like showing off to me! The other birds ignored its antics but it kept watching me and my camera!

This looked like a final attempt to catch my interest!!

I know this is anthropomorphism and serious birders don't indulge in this kind of thinking! But - now and again it is almost irresistible!!

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday

23 comments:

  1. Those Cockatoos are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are lucky to have these beautiful birds as yardbirds! Wonderful collection of photos! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cockatoos look fabulous against that azure sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Mick, these cockatoos and skies are fantastic and so are your captures!! Your pics really took my breath away today!!! Thank you so much for sharing!! I hope you have a great weekend!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just so beautiful and funny, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All very beautiful nature shots! Love the white bird and wind span ~ Wow!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think there is a great difference between anthropomorphism and simply being observant of the habits and characteristics of birds. Humans and birds share their origins even if it is many, many millions of years ago and both still retain habits features - curiosity is just one. Your parrots look to have gone to roost while there is lots of sunlight left?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so beautiful! I won't even say what I always say about your backyard birds.... But, really!!!
    And they do seem interested in you ... I like Phil's comment above and will no longer feel silly when I ascribe human characteristics ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful white bird ;-)
    CĂ©line & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know the Bird of paradise came in this coloring. It looks elegant somehow. :)

    and, of course, I love your images of the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos

    ReplyDelete
  11. What stunning birds they are and your photo shares are great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think these birds may be smarter than some of our politicians, so a bit of anthropomorphism is justified.

    Nice shots.

    cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know the Bird of Paradise flower was sometimes white! Love the cockatoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my first visit to you blog Mick but you have evoked so many memories for me. I used to live in Melbourne and have photographed so many cockatoo's, lorikeets, magpies and minor birds.
    I remember a flock of cockatoo's visited our local area every year at the same time. There were masses of them in our garden, trees and street. It was a fascinating sight for first thing in a morning... but so noisy!
    Thanks for sharing your brilliant photographs ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's always one. The character of the bunch that eyeballs you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice clicks! That bird is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, there are times when our common birds thrill! I think this lovely character wanted you to do his photoshoot!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Sulphur-crested Cockatoos! I tend to indulge in anthropomorphism myself at times. It takes some of the seriousness out of birding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cockatoos are gorgeous. Looks like it did a wonderful acrobatic number for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete