Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Backyard Views

Last post I said that the big storm that passed through here had only blown down an old bird's nest. However, a few days later while sitting in my favorite chair and looking towards the back I saw a pretty orange color on some leaves. That wasn't supposed to be there! When I wet down and investigated I found that the storm had blown out one of the trees and the leaves were gradually changing color as the tree died. I planted this tree years ago. It was well over 20 feet tall and had been blown over.
Summer time where I live means that it is now getting light just after 4am. It is very pleasant to lie in bed and listen to the bird song. One of the first birds to start calling is the little Willie Wagtail. This bird has two distinct calls.- There is a quite pleasant song and also a very scratchy sound. At this time of year when the birds are nesting the more common sound is the scratchy one and it is used to frighten away anything the Willie doesn't like. They are quite fearless. Over the last few weeks I have seen these quite small birds chasing off even Magpies. . Like lots of small birds they rarely seem to sit still and I have trouble getting good photos.  Too often they perch high in the trees or even up on the electricity wires.
When they do come down within reach it is often a rear view.
  The exception was this one up on the house roof when the birds was more interested in my cat standing beside me.
Finally I gave up and went down the back to where a White Cockie was perched far up on one of those tall bamboo shoots. I had the Cockie in focus and ignored the Willie which had now come down here. I kept my finger on the auto button - and sometimes you just get lucky! First the Willie did a dive bombing swoop and then the Cockie nearly lost balance moving to avoid the Willie.

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday

13 comments:

  1. Oh so sad about the tree ~ but lovely bird photography ~ looking up is good ~ xox

    Wishing you a gentle week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots of the Willie and Cockatoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cockatoo. I'm sorry about your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I live in a large city, I too enjoy listening to the dawn chorus (from my bed) during the Summer months. We don't see daylight until almost 8am at the moment so I have a few months to wait for the early dawn chorus. Sad to hear about the tree especially as it has been part of the garden landscape for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often notice that quite small birds can be very aggressive. I guess they have to be where nesting is concerned and even a cockatoo can be a potential enemy if there are young chicks in a nest?

    No wellies this morning - just two pairs of sockd and minus 4 degrees at dawn. All good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bird photos!! But, sad to read you lost a tree in the storm!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Willie wagtails are such comical little birds but yes! they usually flit to quickly to capture them. lovely pics

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about loss of the tree with all the history especially, but happy (and a good bit envious) about the birds you see and hear from your comfortable "blind". And you shared more than bird watching ... those words and pictures were those a naturalist observing bird behavior. .. thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures and story .... I love that those little wagtails are so brave and I always love seeing the cockatiels ... and as always marvel that these are backyard birds for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great catch with the Willie wagtail ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the tree. :( But glad the birds are still with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WWT's are great birds - I used to watch them harassing my mother-in-laws cat! It was fun to watch. Shame about the tree.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stopping by again to wish you a Happy Holiday.

    ReplyDelete